Writer Wednesdays: Favorite Phone Apps

The Wednesday Writers are back, with a new list of slightly wacky topics for 2017. This month we’re asking one another “what is your favorite phone app?”

WW 2017

It was the prospect of phone apps that pushed me to move to a smart phone after years of carrying a basic Tracfone in my purse. I insisted for years that I didn’t want or have any use for a cell phone, until I started commuting to a job thirty miles from home. Shortly after I found myself marooned on the side of the freeway at twilight, waiting for a Good Samaritan to happen by and tow me to safety, I bought that first Tracfone.

I seldom used it. Didn’t give out the number. Didn’t even turn it on very often. And then one evening, twilight again, about a year and a half ago, my car stalled on the way to an RWA chapter meeting. And I found out just how hard it was to contact AAA, and to punch in my account number, on that little phone (my sister-in-law swears I somehow called her before I got AAA).

There must, I thought, be an app for this.

phone apps 1So about a year ago, I finally marched into the local Verizon store, bought an expensive phone (an LG V10), and signed up for service. Among the first apps I downloaded were AAA and my car insurance company. Thankfully, I have yet to use either one of them.

I still don’t make many phone calls with my cell phone, but I have learned to text. I give out the number now. I get robo-calls, which I have learned to recognize and ignore.

But I certainly use the phone, the little computer I carry in my purse or park on my kitchen counter. I check my email and Facebook with it when I’m away from my computer (or my Internet connection goes down), but I don’t use Twitter or Instagram. I’ve never even opened any of the games that came with it. I don’t have any music on the phone, and I don’t watch videos. I use the Kindle app now and then, usually when I’ve forgotten my Kindle. Last summer I used the RWA Conference app quite a bit, and it’s still on the phone.

I use the calendar all the time, and I’ve developed an obsession with the Google maps timeline feature, since the day I was startled to discover that the phone knew where I was. Most of the time. For some reason the maps app is convinced that my phone wanders off from time to time, usually at night, and apparently without me. But as long as I keep an eye on its roving, I find it a useful record of where (and when) I’ve been from day to day.

My bank app makes it super easy to deposit my weekly paycheck from my kitchen counter. And speaking of the kitchen, I no longer keep a grocery list on the refrigerator door, where I all too often left it when I went out to shop. Now everything goes on the QuickMemo app as soon as I think of it, and I always have my shopping list with me.

But I think my favorite app is the camera. My last Tracfone included a camera, but I never phone apps 2used it because I had no way to transfer the pictures out. (There probably was one, but the useless operating manual kept it a dark secret. It also claimed it could reach the Internet, but I never succeeded in making that happen.) The camera on my smart phone (far better than the digital camera I never remembered to carry with me) takes beautiful pictures and easily sends them to email addresses, Facebook, or someone else’s phone. I’m pretty sure I haven’t figured out half of what that camera will do. But I always have it with me, and I frequently remember to use it.

What do you use your phone for? Any great apps I should know about?

For more favorite phone apps, visit this month’s Wednesday Writers: Tamra Baumann, Pamela Kopfler, Priscilla Oliveras, T L Sumner, and Sharon Wray.

1. Pamela Kopfler
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 08:32:34

You’ve got just what you need. Great post.

Liked by 1 person

2. prisoliveras
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 10:39:39

Oooh, the camera app… definitely one that gets used A LOT on my phone. Whether it’s to send a funny pic to family via Snapchat, post a pic on my author FB page, take a pic of something I want to buy at the store/find online and am worried I’ll forget the name… so many reasons why I snap a pic. 🙂

I have to say, my text message app gets full use, too. It’s nice to send a loved one a quick “thinking of you” message when they pop into your head. Or like you discovered, reach out to someone when you’re in a jam.

It’s funny how we can become dependent on technology. Funny, yet also scary. Still, you won’t find me easily giving up my phone! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Mar 08, 2017 @ 10:51:32

Kay, I’m glad you bit the bullet and upgraded your phone. Sounds like you are having a ball with it! :0)

Liked by 1 person

4. Carol J. Post
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 11:17:08

Great post, Kay! It took me a while to upgrade, too. Like you, I use my camera app a lot. I love being able to post pictures straight to FB, text them, email them, etc. I’m going to check out QuickMemo.

Liked by 1 person

Mar 08, 2017 @ 23:12:23

Quick Memo came on my Verizon Android phone – now it’s my mobile shopping list. I also have something caller Jotter, which has more features, but I don’t use that as much.

5. Sharon Wray
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 11:41:25

Loved your post, Kay. And I’m so glad you decided to get a smart phone. It’s saved me a number of times. I do need to download the AAA app, though. I had no idea they even had one and I’ve (unfortunately) had to use AAA a number of times last year. Thanks for the tip!

Liked by 1 person

6. Jacqui Nelson
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 17:40:02

I resisted getting a Smart Phone for a long time as well, Kay. But now I love it. The Kindle App for reading all sorts of books (including my WIPs which I can upload), the camera, the weather app, the fitness app that records my number of daily steps, the alarm, and so much more – it even has a torch/flashlight feature. Yup, love it and now cannot do without it 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Mar 08, 2017 @ 23:14:09

I forgot about the flashlight. One day I left my phone on the kitchen counter and went to work, only realized it when I wanted to use the flashlight to find something under my desk. I have never forgotten my phone again.

7. T. L. Sumner
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 23:13:06

Smart phones are so cool and now that I’ve had one for so long, I don’t know if I could do without one. I must say the camera is one of my favorite features of my phone, too. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Mar 08, 2017 @ 23:18:34

I always forgot to carry my camera with me, and the phone takes better pictures, and it’s so much easier to get the pictures to my computer or somewhere else.