Writer Wednesday: Three Searches

Our Writer Wednesday assignment this month is “Show us your last three searches.” I’m afraid if I WW Augusttook that literally, you’d be reading about searches for TV show cast lists (What is that actor’s name? Where have I seen her before?) or lactose intolerance in cats. After finishing the first draft of my latest work-in-progress, I took a little break, so I haven’t been researching for a writing project, either, or searching for anything that might draw the attention of law enforcement. (If Facebook knows I’ve been shopping on line for a new bedspread, heaven only knows what the government knows about me.)

The little “Get Windows 10” icon continues to hover on my computer, and recently the HP help system chimed in, offering to help me install the new operating system. So I’ve searched various aspects of Windows 10. Results: I haven’t made the jump yet. My computer is about five and a half years old, probably strong enough to handle the new system, but I’m happy enough with Windows 7 for now. There was a time when I jumped on new releases the moment they were available, but these days I’m on the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” team.

Yesterday my dentist, who has known me for more than thirty years, asked me to recommend authors a fan of Christine Feehan might like. No, he’s not a fan of dark paranormal romance himself, but his wife, whose health problems keep her at home, is, and being as good a husband as he is a dentist, he shops for her. Dr. B. was installing a new crown in my mouth at the time, so I was neither quick thinking nor articulate. But when I got home I searched “if you like Christine Feehan, you might like . . .” Results: a list of eight or ten names I sent to his Facebook page.

I’ve been doing some proofreading lately, combing through the files of some twenty-five year old Regency romances which have been scanned in preparation for a digital rebirth. I’m good with spelling and punctuation, not so much with Regency slang. Fortunately I have copies of the original books, tiny of print and a bit yellowed, to check against. I’ve found a few typos the original proofreader missed, so when I hit the word nuncheon and found it in the paperback as well, I thought I might have found another. But, hey, those Regency folks spoke their own language, so I searched. Results: yes, my dears, nuncheon is a word, meaning (according to Meriam Webster on line) “a light midmorning or midafternoon snack consisting typically of bread, cheese, and beer.” I have a feeling the characters in the story were not guzzling beer, but they were definitely enjoying their nuncheon.

For more stories of Internet searches, visit the other Writer Wednesday bloggers: Historical romance writers –    Wendy LaCapra  |  Sweet and Inspirational writers –    Kristen Ethridge  |  Novels with Romantic Elements –  Jean Willett  –  Natalie Meg Evans  |  Romantic Suspense –  Carol Post  –  Sharon Wray  |  Paranormal writers  –  Pamela Kopfler  |  Contemporary romance writers –    Kat Cantrell   –  Priscilla Kissinger

And don’t miss this month’s new release from Kristin Ethridge: The Doctor’s Unexpected Family.

Writer+Wednesday+List

1. Sharon Wray
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 09:22:33

I love that word “nuncheon”, Kay. It’s too bad so many cool words have been lost to time and shifts in culture. I also loved hearing about your searches and how you went about finding the answers.
    Good luck with the Windows upgrade. 🙂

2. Lark Brennan
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 10:44:14

Fun post, Kay! Funny what we end up researching, isn’t it?

Don’t upgrade if you don’t have to. I moved my whole office to Windows 8 last year and it was a bit of a shock for some people. I’ve heard 10 has lots of issues and refuse to install it. Unless you want a lot of new app-like features, 7 is just fine.

Hope to see you soon!

Aug 05, 2015 @ 12:18:12

I’m not gonna be a pioneer on Windows 10, Lark. Let the true believers work out the bugs first. We’re in no hurry at work, either, where we’re happy with 7. At least now we know we can avoid 8.

3. wendylacapra
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 11:29:04

I Love the Christine Feehan search idea! Never even thought to do it! ‘Nuncheon’ actually came up in my most recent book. My copy editor questioned it as well, and I had to come up with proof it was a word 🙂

Aug 05, 2015 @ 12:20:21

Wendy, searching on that took me to pages on Goodreads. Apparently that’s the place to find “if you like” recommendations. I just wish I had more time to read the authors I already know I love.

4. prisakiss
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 11:34:44

Kay, it’s awesome that your dentist asked you about romance novels for his wife!

I can say, I haven’t heard the word “nuncheon” before, but I definitely partook in some afternoon nuncheons with cider (instead of the beer) while visiting a family member in London last month. YUM! 😉

5. Jean Willett
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 11:34:45

Oh, my Windows 10 hasn’t arrived yet. My son will have to be present so I don’t lose my manuscripts or photos 🙂 I could stand to lose a lot of what’s on my computer, but the research…not now!

Nuncheon will become my new word. Love it! Fun post, Kay. 🙂

Aug 05, 2015 @ 12:24:26

I’m in no hurry for Windows 10, Jean. And they’re making it a free upgrade for a year. I may need a new computer by then! (I hate changing computers–it’s almost as bad as moving, and I haven’t done that since 1976).

Aug 05, 2015 @ 12:02:58

I’m with you on Windows 10, Kay! In no hurry to try it. And I Iove the word “nuncheon” ! From my recent trip to England and Ireland, I learned that watered down beer was served at most every meal because it was safer to drink than the water back then. Cheers!!

7. natmegevans
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 13:59:00

Hi Kay! I remember the first time I came across ‘nuncheon’ in a Georgette Heyer novel and assumed it was a typo. But as you found out, it is real and represents the food consumed at noon, whereas ‘luncheon’ is the same thing but with a posh, Frenchified reference and eaten by ladies with nothing better to do. Breakfast and dinner were the rule for red-blooded men and labourers. I’ve just noticed Tamra’s comment on the watered beer, and yes, until the 1860s, water in Britain and Ireland was lethal. The alcohol in beer subdued the pathogens, I believe. Here in Suffolk where I live, where people were dirt poor, there was a disease known as pond pox, because they were forced to drink from ponds and moats, unable to afford beer or cider.

On a different note, I too am being prodded daily to download Windows 10 which is promised to be more functional and easy to use. But I’m scared, very scared. My recent experience of being locked out of all my devices makes me unwilling to take the first step. I still think back with nostalgia for Windows XP.

Aug 05, 2015 @ 21:29:31

Natalie, I think the last version of Windows where I really understood the inner workings and where everything lived was Windows 3–but then I started out on plain old MS-DOS. Nowadays I’m just happy that the computer works, and Windows 7 still works fine for me. (Got another offer this evening from Hewlett Packard wanting to help me install Windows 10!)

8. Carol J. Post
    Aug 06, 2015 @ 10:53:50

Great post, Kay. I’m with you in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” camp. Recently, a writer on one of the loops I belong to made a panicked post because she had downloaded Windows 10 and it turned everything into “read only.” She was on deadline and couldn’t update her wip, copy it forward or anything. I’m staying with 7 until it doesn’t work anymore.

Aug 06, 2015 @ 12:23:17

Hi, Carol! I write mostly in Scrivener these days, but I still use Word 2007 for some things. It has a peculiar tendency to turn my file read only when it saves every so often, so I’ve learned to watch for that. Fortunately all I’ve had to do is close and reopen the file. Kathleen said she had a lot of trouble with Windows 10, too, and reverted to 7. I’ll wait until they get it straight!