The Debut of Writer Wednesdays

A few weeks ago a group Firebirds (2012 Golden Heart finalists) decided to get together for a year-long blog party: one Wednesday a month we’ll all write on the same topic, a bit of show-and-tell about our lives. To start off this month, we’re writing about weddings, in honor of Firebird sister Kat Cantrell’s double release of wedding-themed stories. To visit the rest of my blogging sisters, see the Writer Wednesday Blogs list on the right, and check out Kat’s new books and the schedule of future posts below.

Wedding+Day.no+border

April’s theme is Tell us a highlight of your wedding day. The highlight of mine was probably that it came together at all, when and where it did.

When Jack and I decided to spend Christmas of 1969 in the suburbs of Miami with my parents, we weren’t planning (if you could even call our vague talk on the subject planning) to get married until the following summer, when Jack would graduate from Florida State and move to New Orleans, where I was attending grad school at Tulane. But as soon as my mother heard that idea, she decided we should get married right away, so she’d be sure to be there. (She wasn’t far off on that—some years later my brother was married by a justice of the peace in the Lafayette Parish Courthouse; my parents and I were not there.)

So we bowed to the inevitable, arriving shortly before Christmas and marrying on the evening of the 29th. My mother made me a dress (dark green and very short), Jack found a suit somewhere, and my parents’ back fence neighbors, who owned a small bakery, made us a cake. The church was still decorated for Christmas, all red and green. My best friend, Claudia, was home from Brooklyn for the holidays, as were several of my college buddies. Jack found an acquaintance to act as best man (I think his name was Paul, but I’d have to dig out the paperwork to be sure). My brother, who was about sixteen at the time, was the altar boy.

I lost Jack in 2002, but to this day I have a yellowed clipping on one of my bulletin boards: The success of a marriage is inversely proportional to the amount spent on the wedding. Worked for us, for thirty three years.

FROM EX TO ETERNITY:
Bride: Cara, wedding dress designer
Marital Status: Jilted at the altar
Action Required: Revenge on the runaway groom
From Ex To EternityTwo years after waiting at the altar for Keith Mitchell, Cara isn’t ready to meet him again, much less work with him as the consultant on her bridal fashion show! For his part, a misunderstanding sent him running, but now that he knows the truth, and they’re spending long days working together, he wants her back in his bed. Will Cara use their passion to gain the ultimate revenge? Let the newlywed games begin.

Buy Links:  Amazon   B&N   |   Apple   |   Kobo  |   Google

FROM FAKE TO FOREVER
Bride: Meredith, soon-to-be co-owner, wedding dress business
Marital Status: Victim, Vegas wedding mix-up
Action Required: Divorce, ASAP
From Fake to ForeverAfter one night of tequila and sex, their impromptu Vegas wedding shouldn’t be valid. But Meredith Chandler-Harris just discovered she’s still tied to irresistible businessman Jason Lynhurst. She needs out of their marriage, but to become his company’s new CEO, he needs her as a bride. Let the newlywed games begin.

Buy Links:  Amazon   |   B&N   |   Apple   |   Kobo  |   Google

Writer+Wednesday+List

1. amberzade
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 08:07:07

Awww….I love wedding stories.

Liked by 1 person

2. Carol Post
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 08:23:37

Great wedding story, Kay! I’m glad you guys had 33 happy years together.

Liked by 1 person

3. Sharon Wray
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 08:51:31

Beautiful story, Kay. And I’m so sorry you lost Jack in 2002. But I love the saying you have posted in your house and I totally agree. The amount spent has nothing to do with the life you build together. And it seems like you had a wonderful life together.

Liked by 1 person

4. wendylacapra
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 10:26:36

Here’s to your 33 years. Sending you hugs!

Liked by 1 person

Apr 15, 2015 @ 10:52:31

Ah, thanks for sharing, Kay. You and Jack were so cute together, so devoted. I do love wedding stories.

Liked by 1 person

6. prisakiss
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 12:03:49

Kay, what a beautiful message! Far too often brides and the parents get wrapped up in the trappings of the ceremony. In actuality, the beauty of the day can be found in the lucky couple’s smiling eyes when they look at each other!

Sounds like you and Jack knew that from the very beginning!

Liked by 1 person

Apr 15, 2015 @ 12:04:27

What a great story, Kay! So glad you had those 33 wonderful years! ;0)

Liked by 1 person

8. Jean Willett
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 17:49:13

You planned your day and lived a wonderful life together. That’s the memories that keeps us going. Wonderful story, Kay.

Liked by 1 person

9. KD Fleming
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 22:54:17

Kay, that is so sweet and so true. It sounds like you both loved well. And I’m sure you can pull out any of those memories from your beautiful 33 years together and smile.

Liked by 1 person

10. Kay Hudson
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 22:57:59

Thanks for coming by, everyone. It’s been so much fun reading everyone’s sweet and funny wedding stories!

11. mizwrite
    Apr 17, 2015 @ 15:46:50

What a beautiful wedding story and — more importantly — a beautiful love story, Kay! It sounds like you got off to a great start and kept the spontaneousness, confidence, and joy going for 33 great years! Love it.

Liked by 1 person

12. JF Owen
    Apr 26, 2015 @ 20:33:46

Linda and I were married at 7:30 in the evening by a justice of the peace whose office was over a Harley Davidson motorcycle shop. Lawrence Welk was playing on the TV and provided our wedding music. That was over 41 years ago. Who says you have to have a big weeding to make it last?

Liked by 1 person