Going to California

My trip to the RWA National Conference in Anaheim is less than three weeks away, and I don’t think I’m ready.  It seemed like such a long time off when I signed up at the end of March, and here it is staring me in the face.

Last year when I was getting ready to go the the conference in New York City, I shopped every Saturday for weeks, pretty much starting from scratch.  Business Casual around the Scorekeeper means a shirt, jeans, and sneakers, and I wanted to be a little more upscale than that.  After all, we go to writers’ conferences to meet people, and I didn’t want to look like an aging ragamuffin.  So I bought some good slacks, a pair of comfortable heels, and a couple of shirts.

The only luggage I had was old, heavy, and up in the attic.  I left it there, and bought an inexpensive three-piece set of light-weight canvas, two rollers and a tote.  I used the larger roller for the trip, and this year I may use both rollers.  They haven’t been out of the closet for anything else.

I had absolutely nothing formal to wear to the Awards Ceremony, and as a Golden Heart finalist I would be up at the front of the room.  Where people might see me.  I finally found a nice black and gold top and a pair of dressy pants.  Many of the women at the awards ceremony will be wearing evening gowns, but I’ve never owned a floor-length skirt in my life, and I’m not going to start now.

I’ve made a stab or three at shopping over the last few weekends, but my heart hasn’t really been in it.  I made passes through Dillard’s and Macy’s, thinking I might find a different, more colorful top to wear with the black pants, but nothing caught my eye, and I decided to stick with the black and gold.   I’ll be up at a front table again, but no one will remember, or care, that I’m wearing the same outfit.  I won’t be the only one.

This morning I headed over to the mall with the feeling that if I was going to shop for the trip at all, I’d better get moving.  I was surprisingly successful.  I found a black leather purse, bigger than the very small one I bought last year, smaller than what I use everyday.  This one will hold my wallet and my Kindle, my new phone, plane tickets and notes.  It might even inspire me to pare down the amount of junk I carry around everyday and never use.

Is it just me, or is it really hard to find a plain white shirt these days?  I see people wearing them.  Where do they buy them?  At a uniform store?   I was about ready to give up when I stumbled across the only rack of solid color (well, mostly) shirts in the store.  I found two white ones (one plain, one with pleats down the front) and one with grey and white stripes.  Grabbed them all.  A pass through the jewelry department even netted me a new pair of earrings to go with my black and gold top, long dangly ones, perfect for dress up.

So I’m covered.  I’ve done my shopping.  I have enough to wear and suitcases to put it in.  Now I have to go through the seventeen-page list (I am not kidding) of workshops that I downloaded from the RWA site this afternoon and figure out which ones I really want to cram into those three short days in California, in between the reception and rehearsal and appointments, dinners with friends, and hanging out in the bar stalking agents.

I can’t believe I’m leaving in seventeen days.  I’m not ready.

1. Jo Eberhardt
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 01:12:57

I’m nervous and excited for you!

2. patodearosen
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 10:35:48

You’re ready, Kay. Go get ’em.

3. Kay Hudson
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 11:34:34

Thanks, Ladies. I think once I get on the airplane I will be able to let everything go and just have a good time, but until then I see myself running in circles

4. gerrybartlett
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 16:23:56

Have a great time, Kay. You looked good last year. I say stick with that black and gold. You rocked it. And fingers crossed for you to bring home the gold too. I hope you have an agent appointment. Pitch like crazy.

Jul 08, 2012 @ 16:35:33

I have an agent appointment, and I plan to hang around nursing my minimal wine intake and meeting people this year. (Last year I was pretty much overwhelmed.) I’ve been looking through the workshop list–I think I may have to buy the recordings this year. There’s no way to attend more than a handful of them.

5. Laurie A. Green
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 16:32:53

Kay, I’m not ready either! I hope to retrieve my suitcases from storage and at least start packing today. At least the stuff that doesn’t wrinkle, or that doesn’t matter if it does. Then I have to figure out what clothes to take. Workshops? Haven’t even got to those yet. My head is still swimming with all the extra-curricular stuff. I love Nationals, I really do. But it can be a bit frazzling trying to get ready!

Jul 09, 2012 @ 16:38:41

Yesterday I packed up most of the Literacy Signing donation for West Houston, and dragged my luggage out of the closet and decided that would fit in one of my bags (and leave me room to drag too many books home!). Today I got my hair cut, so it will look natural (I hope) for the trip. I’m getting there. I think.

6. Lark Howard
    Jul 12, 2012 @ 09:30:49

I loved your dressy outfit last year! You looked great and will again. I’m all about repeating a successful ensemble. See you there!